Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Day My Son Tried to Cry for Me, but His Mouth Wouldn't Work

The moment is engrained in my mind forever. Just thinking about it makes my stomach feel queasy and my heart race. The panic of that afternoon comes rushing back to me, even though I know years have passed, and my little boy, Chip, is perfectly healthy and strong today. I'm sort of afraid to write this story because it's so upsetting for me to remember, but since we are in the middle of the summer swim season, I figure it would be important to share.

I'm talking about the day that my four-year-old son was drowning. We had been celebrating my birthday at my best friend's pool. Cristina and I have seven kids between us, but for some reason I cannot remember where my Marshall was that day. He would have been a baby. I don't know if he was in a stroller or napping or with his grandma somewhere. It's funny how our minds play tricks on us, making some details really stand out and others seem to fade into the background. I do know that Reese and Trixie were with us, as were Cristina's three children. The oldest five had been swimming all day. Chip did not want to swim. He told me so many times. He sat on the side of the pool the entire afternoon. I sat with him for the few hours we were there together. I tried to encourage him into the water, but he really was not interested. He dangled his feet in for a while and sometimes sat on the stairs that enter the pool, but he did not leave the side of the pool...ever. 

Cristina and I had such a wonderful time together. Since our families live two hours from each other, the chances we do have to spend together are cherished and packed with fun. We indulged in birthday treats and just relaxed and talked by the calming, rippling water of the stunning in-ground pool. After spending several hours outside, it was time to pack up to head over to my mom's house. We were going to have a birthday dinner with my family at my favorite restaurant: Olive Garden. I had been dreaming about those endless breadsticks all week. 

We moms issued a five minute warning to the children, letting them know their pool fun would be coming to an end soon. We were packing up our bags and cleaning up the cups and plates from the mini-party she threw for me. My back was to the pool for the first time all day. I was talking to Cristina, and something was nagging me to turn around. It wasn't anyone's actual voice. It was not a sound of splashing or a cry for help. It was just something in my own mind which told me to "turn around; turn around; Elizabeth, TURN AROUND!" Cristina was in the middle of saying something to me, but I stopped listening and turned around to face the pool. What I saw was one of the most horrifying sites a mother could see. My child, my four-year-old son, Chip, was in the middle of the pool. The middle of this extremely massive pool. I still have no idea how he managed to be there when he had not left the side of the pool all day. All I know is that his body was vertical, and his arms were spread out to the sides of him, sort of like a T. His mouth was open under water, and all I could see above water were his eyes, bulging in terror. 

I instantly ran and jumped into the water. Cristina had no idea what was happening, since I had just changed from my swimsuit into regular clothing. Why was I jumping into the pool?  Neither of us had known that Chip was anywhere near the water, and now he was drowning. Silently drowning, as I've learned every drowning is. I was able to swim out to him and pull him out of the water. I'm sure he must have been coughing and gasping for air when he was finally free from the water, but I do not really remember it.  My instincts kicked in, and he was safe. What I do remember is what he said to me when he was finally calm and snuggling in my arms. Chip said, "Mama, I tried to call you, but my mouth wouldn't work." 

Those words are probably the saddest words I have ever heard one of my babies say to me. Chip's mouth would not work because it was full of water. Water from a pool that was supposed to be fun. Water that was supposed to symbolize summer freedom. Water that can give hours of entertainment yet steal a life in a matter of moments. 

The other children had been just ten feet away from Chip the whole time. None of them saw anything. They did not know he had entered the water either. We moms were busy. No matter how diligent we had been to keep our eyes on him for the previous three hours, those two minutes we turned around to clean up changed everything.

Chip still talks about the day his mouth wouldn't work. Every time he does, I feel shaky and want to cry. It was my fault. I did not make him wear a life jacket because he didn't like the way it felt on his body. I am blessed enough to have turned around to find him, but what if I hadn't listened to that voice in my head? What if I was too late? What if? 

I beg you, please, be vigilant with your babies near water. Be attentive to the point that you are annoying them. Have life jackets on them even if they do not plan to swim. Do not turn your back on them.  EVER.

Also, please study the signs of drowning. Most drowning occurs in plain sight of others. It is silent. Kids playing in pools make a lot of noise. They splash and giggle. If you hear nothing, something is wrong. I have learned that the T-body position that Chip was in is an instinctual position a person's body will take during drowning. After 90 seconds of submersion, a person will lose consciousness. How is it possible that I turned around just in time? How was I so lucky when so many others are not? Our lives could have been changed forever, in the worst way imaginable. Whenever I hear about a terrible drowning in the news, I remember my day with Chip. I thank God for being given the chance to save him and to be his mom. My birthday is coming again soon. It reminds me to be thankful that we are able to go to Olive Garden, with all of my children, safe and sound! 


Trixie swimming when she was four.  She had on a life jacket and a ring.  Chip was wearing nothing on the day he was drowning. 
 
For more information about drowning, please check out this helpful story by Mario Vittone, a water safely expert.  http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment