Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Parenting Melting Pot

How is it possible that I have relationships with so many parents, yet our journeys through parenthood have been so vastly different? When I consider the people whose advice I trust and encouragement I actively seek, I am pretty astounded at the varied lives we lead.

Some of you were blessed with many children. You experienced the ups and downs of pregnancy and childbirth, and we can share our stories about morning sickness, stretch marks, and labor.

Others of you went through unimaginable struggles to have the family that you do now. I admire you for the pains you have endured to become what you so longed to be, a mom.

Some of you are staying at home with your children. We like to commiserate about how many dishes we have to do during summer vacation when the kids are home all day, but we also realize how lucky we are.

Some of you are rocking the workforce, aside from your job as mom or dad. Although I do not see you as often as I wish I could, I support you and love to meet up whenever we can. My teacher friends are special superstars, working day and night, guiding our children in a way that we appreciate and value. 

Some of you share your life with a caring husband. He provides strength and support in your home, offering love to you and a father's presence to your children. 

Others of you are doing the jobs of two parents, all on your own. I often wonder how you can do it.  How can you lift up your children when you need lifting up, too? I know that you do it because you are strong, so strong. Stronger than any of us will ever know. 

Some of you are blessed to have healthy families. You and your children have occasional illnesses, but nothing that isn't considered par for the course of life. You know, like that raging stomach virus that hits everyone in your house at least once a year.

Others of you have children with conditions or illnesses that make childhood a little bit harder for them. You feel worried and sad, but you are an advocate, and you make sure that they have the very best care possible. 

Others of you are suffering. You, as moms and dads, have something keeping you from living an easy, healthy life. You amaze me as you keep a positive outlook when most of us would be wallowing in sorrow or self-pity. 

Some of you have a vast family support system. You have a great extended family: brothers, sisters, parents, and grandparents, on whom you can rely for comfort and help with emergencies.

Others of you have lost those loved ones you had trusted the most. Your children may never know their grandparents. I love that you are keeping the memory of your family members alive by sharing your stories and pictures with your children.

We all have an ongoing list of differences, such as in the types of schools we choose, whether or not we attend church, and how strict or liberal we are with technology. I know that I do not have two friends or family members who are exactly like me. I am positive that we are meant to be in each others' lives anyway. How boring would it be if we were all the same? I gather strength and inspiration from the all of the parents I know, so thank you.

One of our baby boys playing with all the pots and pans.  Who needs toys?





I'd love for you to find me on Facebook




 


4 comments:

  1. Speaking of raging stomach viruses….I remember the time you were preparing for a big birthday party (I think), and you ended up getting sick and had to throw away all the food. So sad!

    Thanks for pointing out that although there are many, many differences in families, parenting styles, etc - that it's important to support one another. My mantra - we're all doing the best we can with what we know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela! That bday party was so depressing. I ended up in the hospital and did have to toss everything. It was in the middle of preparing to move overseas, too. Oh, what we do in the thick of motherhood. Thank you for sharing your mantra, too. I should stick that on my fridge!

      Delete
  2. So very very true and as usual - so elegantly put. You do such a great job of making each and every reader feel as though you are speaking directly and only to them. I love this letter I read once speaking to the hardships present in the lives of both stay at home moms and working moms and urging us to resist the temptation to judge one another regardless of what our differences are.
    http://carolynee.net/a-letter-from-a-working-mother-to-a-stay-at-home-mother-and-vice-versa/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, as usual, Kara, for being so supportive. I read the letter you mentioned. She has it right for sure. Everyone is doing the best we can, and we all need to stop worrying about being better than someone else.

      Delete