Monday, July 7, 2014

Back to the Summer Madness

The kids and I just came home from a week away from the daily grind of summer vacation.  I know, it shouldn't be a grind. It should be relaxing and carefree.  Believe me, I'm working on it.  I vowed to schedule less camps and activities this summer.  I actually did schedule less than usual, but with four children, we still have more than I can count. I can't even begin to remember what they are unless I look at my calendar...my big paper calendar attached to my fridge.  I also have a small paper calendar in my purse. I cross-reference them every week to make sure I don't forget anything.  I do not have a smart phone.  I like using a pen.  Is that weird?

I took our kids to my hometown to stay with our families.   Every day, we had places to go and people to see.  We did miss Mark, the poor guy had to stay behind and work, but having some time to decompress really helped us prepare for the rest of our busy summer.  Usually, when we go visit family, it is for a specific event, like a birthday party.  We drive down, stay a night or two, hopefully sneak out for a movie, and then we head back home.  We see the people whose event we are attending, and that's about it. 

This time, I made the smart decision to stay an entire week.  I know I am very blessed to have the opportunity for such a trip.  Have you ever had the chance to do something similar?   I really hope that as a parent, you are able to connect with your friends and/or family as much as possible.  Whether we have new friends, sneaking in a quick coffee while the kids play, or lifelong friends who know us like nobody else, we all need to make time to nurture ourselves.   Positive relationships help us thrive.  Let's make them a priority, and we'll feel more ready to tackle the parenting our kids need from us.   

If you are reading this post and thinking, "I do not have those kinds of connections with people," please come back again.  I have been sharing my mom survival tips with my real life friends for years.  I'm not an expert, but I do know what has failed me and what has worked.  I hope you'll visit again to laugh in agreement or shake your head at my motherhood goofs. 

There will be lots of them.

I promise.

Like what happened to me this morning:   I was being a nice, fun mom and let the kids play at a local park.  One of them threw a little girl's shoe down the hill.  When I told him to give it back to her, he threw it up the hill and nailed her in the foot.

Yep, I'm one of those moms at the park. 

I have rude kids sometimes.

I do my best to teach them manners. Really I do.

They just choose to learn them on their own schedule.  Please forgive me and have patience with us. I'm sure they won't be like that forever.

Meanwhile, I would like to reflect on the blessings I had while I was visiting my hometown and forget about the rudeness for at least a little while.

I am very thankful to all of my friends for the times we spent laughing and reconnecting last week.  I am so energized after all of the fun we had together.  You know who you are!  A late night shopping trip to Kmart, a four hour lunch at the winery, an afternoon spent by the pool with our babies, a chat over peanut butter shakes, a kid-free dinner out sharing a pitcher of sangria, a long car ride made shorter with a phone call from a best friend, an extremely loud trip to McDonald's with the kids.  None of those outings would be possible if I did not have relationships and friendships that stand the test of time and distance. 

 
Thank you to my parents and Mark's parents for making special memories with my children.  Watching a calf be born on a farm, catching candy with them at a parade, oohing and aahing under the fireworks.  Those little events are ones they will remember.  Thank you to aunts and uncles (the kids' and mine) who are an active part of our family.  Thank you to my 91 year old grandma for being spunky enough to spend a few days with nine rowdy kids.   I hope I have that kind of patience when I'm a great-grandmother.







I'd love for you to find me on Facebook








1 comment:

  1. If this all happened in our previous "hometown," I'm so jealous I wasn't there to see you! Thanks for sharing. And God bless your grandmother!

    ReplyDelete