Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Letter to The Loud Teacher Who Changed My Life

The year was 1989, and I had just decided I was going to join the sixth grade orchestra. I did not know a thing about string instruments except that my Grandpa played the guitar and my older cousin had just started playing the violin. My mom took me into the intimidating orchestra room in my new school lined with instruments. Lots of other kids I didn't know were filing in to see which instrument would be the best fit for them. A man with a shiny head and booming voice was there helping everybody decide among the choices: violin, viola, cello, bass. I remember him telling my mom that since I had long fingers, I could easily play the cello. I had never heard a cello before, but the teacher, that loud man, was convinced I could do it, so I said okay. Little did I know that the decision we made that day, and the man I met that afternoon, was going to play such an important role in my life.

Of course, he has a real name, but we all called him Mr. G. He has retired from teaching, and he has touched the lives of thousands of students. I've been thinking about him tonight because he is my only Facebook friend who was ever my teacher. I saw a picture of him yesterday that touched me, and I wanted to talk about how impactful teachers can be. Parents can only dream that their children would ever have a teacher as incredible as Mr. G. for one semester or even one year. What made him so incredibly special to me is that he taught me the cello not just for 6th grade, but for 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades, too. He watched me grow from a child into a young woman.   Many years have passed, and now, through the awesomeness of the Internet, he watches me mother my four children, two of whom are at the exact age I was when he was my teacher. It's amazing how it has all come full circle.

This talented man taught us music, of course. That was the job he was hired to do. 

It was his job to teach us to read music. 

To appreciate music.

To create music. 

Notes, rests, dynamics.  

We learned it all. 

What an incredibly awesome music teacher he was.

We started out as just kids. Little kids. We had never even touched or seen or heard a stringed instrument before. How he transformed us into the true musicians that we did become is beyond me. In the beginning, how could he stand to listen to our screeching? How did he not go crazy at our constant mistakes? He didn't. He was patient. He was encouraging. He was hilarious. 

Then there's the job he wasn't hired to do, but he did anyway. Mr. G. taught us what it meant to really be an orchestra. 

He taught us discipline. 

He taught us teamwork. 

He taught us diligence. 

I don't know how he did that part either. He just did it.

There were no books or worksheets or movies about how to become a cohesive orchestra, a symphony, but we were one, an outstanding one.

We wanted to be the best for him. We wanted to work together to make him proud of us. It was our goal to play beautiful music and bring a smile to his face while he was on that conductor's stand. 

Now that I'm a mom and my own son is playing the cello, too, I can truly appreciate what a wonderful gift and blessing I had in being taught by Mr. G. He was such a treasure to our school, to my family, and to me. He still lives near our hometown, but I don't anymore. I haven't seen him in person since I said farewell in tears after graduation. 

Mr. G., if I could see you again, I would tell you about the role you played in my choosing education for my degree, but how proud I am of my work as a full-time mother. I would want my children to meet you. I'd want to listen to you tell stories about your life and what you've been doing all these years. I would love to hear you play your saxophone. I promise, you would not want to hear me play my cello. I'm sorry to say that I haven't practiced in years. 

Thank you for being one of the most dedicated, passionate, and fun teachers our world has ever known. I hope for a day when my babies will have a teacher to inspire them as much as you have inspired me. Love always, Elizabeth







I'd love for you to find me on Facebook

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why, but lots of my friends are having trouble leaving comments. I think it has something to do with trying it from phones and I pads. Maybe try it from a computer? If you still have a dinosaur like I do. As always, thanks to everyone for reading and supporting me!! You guys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the words that Mr. G. left for me the morning I posted my letter to him.

    "Hi Liz. Of course your blog left me in tears and feeling blessed that students really do understand our mission, or specifically my mission. As you enjoyed my teaching, I enjoyed having you as a student, friend, and now someone I follow with fb. I truly am hopeful that we can get to lunch some day if we are up around your area on a day trip. Meanwhile, continue on your mission as "mom" and budding writer.
    Mucho Amore,
    Ray"

    ReplyDelete