Saturday, October 18, 2014

Sneaky Kid Digs into Banana Brunch Coffee Cake

I've spent the past twenty minutes looking through my kajillions of digital photos for one very specific picture. It is one that I took when Chip was four years old. I had just made two really delicious Banana Brunch Coffee Cakes and were letting them cool for a while on the kitchen counter. That's what we, meaning bakers, do when we make cakes. We let them rest for a while before we cut into them, right?

Well, that's what adults do. That's what people who have developed self control do. That is not what little boys do. Chip decided that he did not want to wait for Mama to slice him a piece of that cinnamony-sweet banana cake with a crunchy crumb topping. He decided just to help himself.

Did he know how to use a knife and spatula? Of course not! He just dug his chubby, stubby hands right into the middle of the cakes. Both of them!

What did I do when I found a chunk had been taken out of each cake, that just so happened to be the size of a toddler sized fist?

I laughed and ran to grab my camera!

 
DUH! What else would there have been to do?
 
Not long after the coffee cake incident, when Baby Marshall was just about to turn two, all of his other sibs were off at school for the morning. He and I were home alone, and I must have been in the other room for a little too long. When I returned to the kitchen, I found him sitting at our dining table, doing this...
 
  
I don't know what it is about my baby boys that makes them feel the need to sneak sweets, but obviously, I reached for my camera again. I am so glad I did, and I have my mom to thank for that foresight. She always told me to have my camera ready, because we never know when a moment will hit us that's worth remembering. 
 
Since that day, when I found Marshall eating just one bite out of at least seven powdered and chocolate Donettes, we began to refer to Marshall as Sneaky Baby. He became quite adept at finding treats when no one was watching him. I once caught him eating from a tray of Christmas candy that he pulled to the floor.
 
I suppose these shenanigans should be expected when you are not the first or even second child in a family. Your mama is busy, harried, frantic, tired. You name it, she feels it, and so being left to your own devices once in a while might lead to mischief.   
 
I'm as guilty as the next modern mom of not printing enough of my digital pictures. I don't do scrapbooks. I've already told you about the Dwindling Baby Books around here. I have learned to let go of the guilt that surrounds it, but I am definitely glad that I do indeed have some photos stored somewhere, easily accessible with the click of a button! I had such a blissful time reminiscing tonight, giggling to myself while I looked through these pictures, seeing the bits of nonsense my four hilarious kiddos have caused over the years.
 
Goofy poses, faces covered in my mascara (Chip did that to himself once), throwing leaves, juggling apples, years worth of Halloween costumes, showing off their bloody gums from missing teeth. I loved seeing them all!
 
So, although I don't have a beautifully staged photo of my Banana Brunch Coffee Cake, I still want to share the picture I do have with you. It's the picture that documents the time Chip ripped half of the cake out with his hand and shoved it in his mouth. It's a memory I love.
 
This cake is actually one of the recipes that family and guests request from me very often. It is moist and perfectly sweet from the bananas, but the added spice of cinnamon and nutmeg on top really makes it into something special. It's simple because it begins with a cake mix, so there's very little measuring to do, and we all tend to have leftover bananas lying around the kitchen. Please let me know if you try it.
 
 
Banana Brunch Coffee Cake
 
Ingredients
 
1 c. mashed ripe bananas
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 small box instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 c. veg. oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
 
Instructions:
 
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
 
2. Combine bananas, cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Mix well at medium speed for 8 minutes, scraping side of bowl occasionally.

3. In a smaller bowl, mix the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

4. When the batter is finished mixing, pour it into the prepared pan. Sprinkle about half of brown sugar mixture on top and swirl slightly into batter with a butter knife, making figure eights. Sprinkle the remaining mixture on top and bake until toothpick comes clean. 
 
Helpful Tips: Start with baking for 30 minutes and go up to 45.  A lot of times, I divide it all into two square pans, so then the time is less. Keep an eye on it or add foil if the top is browning too quickly.
 
I also really love to make this recipe into muffins. I use cupcake liners and sprinkle the topping over the batter. I use a toothpick to lightly swirl it together.
 
 *Recipe is adapted from Favorite Brand Name Baking, 2002 
 
Have you ever thought to take a picture of your kid when he's wreaking havoc on your house or your schedule or your life? I promise, if you try it, you'll be able to laugh about it later!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine suggested that she was going to try to make this recipe with pumpkin. So, I did it over the weekend. It was delish! A bonus was I didn't even have to mash anything. I just opened up a can of pumpkin. Mmmm! I made half the batch with the cinnamon crunch topping and half with fall colored sprinkles. I wanted to take a picture to show you guys, but they were gobbled up too fast.

    ReplyDelete