Saturday, October 4, 2014

Perfect Fall Apple Crisp

Today has been one of those cold, rainy, yucky October days that are typical for us in our Midwestern town. Mark has coached Chip through countless wet soccer games over the years, but today set a new record with hail coming down on them! Lucky for me, I was warm and dry inside the aquatic center with Marshall, while we watched Reese and Trixie glide through the water for their swim practice. Saturdays are our split-up days, but now, we are finally back together under one roof.

The moist gloom is still present outside, the leaves have really begun to descend to the ground, and the acorns are still constantly dropping from our oak trees. I'm sure you can guess what I'm doing today to warm us up and make our home smell extra sweet and inviting.

Baking!

Today's dessert is my favorite apple crisp, made with the fresh apples Marshall and I plucked from the orchard during his preschool field trip this week. I have been baking this crisp since I received my copy of The Big Red Cookbook from Betty Crocker at my wedding shower fourteen years ago. It's a family favorite, and I'd love to share it with you. 

Perfect Fall Apple Crisp*



Ingredients:
4-6 cups apples, peeled and sliced (I love Golden Delicious)
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. oats (quick or old-fashioned)
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/3 c. margarine or butter, chopped into pieces

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 7x11 inch glass pan.

2. Spread the apples in the pan.

3. Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. With a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until crumbly.

4. Sprinkle the oat mixture evenly over the apples. Bake for 30-45 minutes until apples are tender. You can test it to see if a toothpick will easily go through the apples. Topping the crisp with foil will prevent it from browning.

Helpful Tip: This crisp is delicious served warm with ice cream or the next day for breakfast with some hot cider on the side.

*Adapted from The Big Red Cookbook from Betty Crocker


Do you have a favorite fall dessert?
 
 
 
I'd love for you to find me on Facebook:

1 comment:

  1. My best friend called while I was putting this apple crisp in the oven. She laughed and said she had just made apple crisp, too. I love when we think alike.

    ReplyDelete