Thursday, September 18, 2014

Would You Please Pass the Bon-Bons?

So, we are wrapping up our third week of school, and I have yet to have one single bon-bon! What is going on here? Three of the kids are gone all day, and one of them is gone part of the time, and still, there has been no bon-bon indulgence for this stay-at-home-mom. That's my job, right? Is it happening at your house? I'll come over there if it is, because this place has been kind of a mess.

I don't remember it ever being this hard to readjust to the kids being back at school. I don't actually mean for the kids. They are doing very well with waking up on time, finishing their homework, taking showers when I tell them to, and squeezing in their extras. It's their mother who just can't get in gear this year.

Usually, I'm so organized at the beginning of school. I look forward to the newness that Autumn brings and all that we are going to accomplish in the new school year. So far, I just keep dropping the ball. Read on if you want to feel better about yourself!

I try to make menus for the week's dinner plans and have all the ingredients ready. The dinners I have made this Fall wouldn't impress anyone, and I'm usually thinking about them just as the first kid is walking in the door, asking, "Mom, what's for dinner?" In three weeks, we have run out of milk in the house twice...twice! That never happens here. I always buy three gallons of milk at a time, yet somehow, on two separate occasions, my poor babies had nothing for their morning Cocoa Puffs. (Yes, my kids eat Cocoa Puffs. There was something about having that fourth kid that brought my guard down).

I usually have a variety of homemade treats in the freezer for the kids to take in their lunch boxes, but I haven't had a chance to do any big baking yet. Last night, I thought I would bake a few kinds of homemade cookies to stock the freezer, but now I'm out of flour. I usually have two or three bags of flour waiting in my pantry for when one of my baking frenzies hits. There's nothing. What is my problem?

I really don't deserve any bon-bons when I'm doing such a shoddy job of keeping up with my basics of feeding the family. I shouldn't even mention the cleaning I haven't been doing. Sometimes I'm not doing the dishes every day. Laundry is piling up more than my usual six foot high mound that lurks in the back of the house. Vacuuming, uh, I cleaned up the kitchen crumbs over the weekend, does that count? When the kids head back to school, it is usually my time to make the house shine again. Maybe next week...

In my defense, we've had our fair share of germ-sharing going on around here. Everybody missed at least one day of school already! Having a whole house of sickie-sickersons didn't go well for my bon-bon parties. I did finally muster enough energy to Clorox-wipe down the banisters and door knobs.

Weeks ago, I was supposed to complete a whole stack of papers for the elementary school that I received on the first day of school. It's called a welcome packet. I started filling in answers right away, like the dedicated mom that I am, but set them aside in all the excitement of hearing first day stories from the kids. I have yet to pick them up again. Trixie asks me about every other day if I finished the packet yet. I have to shamefully tell her, "no." I have resorted to asking her if the teachers are bugging her about it. They are not, so I instructed her to stop worrying about that stinkin' packet. It's my homework assignment, not hers, and I promise her I will finish it.

If this family scenario were coming from anyone other than me, I would be dishing out all kinds of advice. Why am I being so hard on myself when I would never have such high expectations of any other mom? If you happen to be feeling the way I am feeling, like it's the last month of school, when it's really only the first, this is what I would tell you:

There is only one you. Just write down what you know you need to do, and that will help you remember. What is forgotten, is forgotten, and it will be okay.

So what if the kids have pancakes for dinner? You know they LOVE when you make Brinner.

A perfectly stocked pantry or freezer isn't necessary for a happy home. Your husband can run out to buy milk when you need it. Stores are open 24 hours for a reason!

Kids are likely trading away what you give them for lunch and are just itching to go outside for recess. They aren't going to remember if they had a homemade cookie or Oreos. Although, some kids might remind you if you do forget a dessert entirely or try to pass fruit off for dessert (Chip).

The dishes will eventually be clean, and so will the floors and clothes. All of that takes time, and one person cannot do it all. You only have so much time, and taking care of the needs of so many other people on top of your own doesn't leave big chunks of time for all that cleaning! Kids can learn chores. Even young ones. Enlist their help. They'll feel valued and important.

Being sick gives everyone a pass, period.

Um, filling out those school papers really does need to be done. If you haven't heard from the school about it yet, you're probably fine. Just get it done when you can. Write it down so you remember to do it. Did you forget my earlier tip? Write everything down.

Lastly, give yourself a freakin' break and go buy some bon-bons! How are you ever going to have a bon-bon party if you don't have any in the house?

 
Last night, I was craving chocolate and really did want the kids to have something sweet in their lunchboxes. With no flour in the house, I resorted to making a box of brownies. I jazzed it up my favorite way. Here's how to do it that will wow kids and guests galore, all for about $2.00.
 
Marshmallow and Chocolate Chip Brownies
 
1. Preheat your oven according to your favorite brand of boxed brownies. Collect all of the ingredients needed according to the box. (mine needed eggs, oil, and water).
 
2. In a bowl, combine all of the original ingredients, plus about 1 cup of chocolate chips and 1-2 cups of mini-marshmallows. Stir until combined, based on the box directions. 
 
3. Spread the batter into a 9x13 inch pan sprayed with baking spray.
 
4. For extra festivity, I like to add a thick layer of sprinkles, although it's totally optional.
 
5. Bake according to the box directions.
 
6. Let them cool a while before slicing. They'll be ooey and gooey and just deliciously chocolately. Enjoy as a late-night snack while the kids are in bed or with your morning coffee (until you have a chance to buy some bon-bons).
 
Helpful Tip: Boxed brownies can be jazzed up however your family likes them.  Other additions I love are M & M's, Andes Mints, Heath Chips, or Chopped Reese's Cups. The possibilities are endless. No measurements are really required!
 
 
 
 
 
I'd love for you to find me on Facebook:


No comments:

Post a Comment