Thursday, March 5, 2015

My Kid Schooled Me on Manners

Someone in our house has pointed out that I have one considerably impolite and annoying habit during breakfast time. Whenever my smallest son asks for help pouring his cereal, I gladly oblige his tiny request. That's me fulfilling the most basic of my mom duties. Then, before I add the milk, I do something that I would never tolerate my kids doing to each other, or to anyone else. I mooch a few pieces of cereal for myself.

Every time.

Without asking permission.

I sneak my fingers into his bowl and skim a couple of tidbits right off the top of the cereal mound. One Frosted Mini-Wheat on Monday. Two Fruit Loops on Tuesday. Three Corn Chex on Wednesday. Four Lucky Charms on Thursday. Five pieces of Cinnamon Toast Crunch on Friday.



Am I obnoxious, or does every parent do it?

Is it the so-called Parent's Tax to which we somehow feel we're entitled? I provide the food, prepare the food, and serve the food, so therefore it is mine before it is yours.

I used to believe my daily bite was harmless, because, clearly, it equaled less than a spoonful of dry cereal from the bounty of boxes stored in our pantry. I thought my nibble was nothing until Marshall began to call me out on it.

"Mom, you always take my cereal without asking."

"Mom, you never say, 'Can I have some, please?'."

"Mom, why do you eat some of my cereal every day?"

Each time I heard him mention it, I made an excuse, a joke or simply brushed it off completely. I poured his milk, gave him a spoon, patted him on the head and carried on with our day. 

This morning, however, I listened. I acknowledged his concern. I apologized to Marshall for what I had done and told him that he was exactly right. I should be asking nicely and saying please. I should be waiting for him to say yes or no. (Admittedly, I just need to stop it all together, since I don't even like most of those cereals anyway, and it's mostly a habit at this point.)

I realized that I was not practicing what I preach. I was not using the manners that we drill and drill and drill into our kids, not holding myself to the same standards we have been trying to set for them all these years. Isn't it humbling when our children have something to teach us? So often we think we have all the answers. We want to say, "I know I'm right because I'm an adult." Yet sometimes, children do have the answers. We just need to listen to them. I'm so glad I took a second to hear my son this morning.

Can you think of a time your child schooled you on something important?
 
Do you believe in The Parent's Tax? 
 
Let's talk about it!

I'd love for you to find me on Facebook:

No comments:

Post a Comment