Thursday, December 4, 2014

"Our Song" Sounds Dated Now

Our song is by Babyface. The ultimate 90's R&B romancer. The king of swoon. The master of love-making melodies. It seemed so perfectly fitting and appropriate for Mark and me, two love-struck-college-kids, to develop a connection with one of his songs. It's called "Every Time I Close my Eyes." Have you heard it? Do you remember it from its chart topping and Grammy nominated rise in 1997?

When Mark and I were dating, it was everywhere. On the radio all the time. Remember the radio? The song became our song because it always seemed to be playing when we were together. Of course the lyrics were powerful and meaningful, too. They were beautiful and sweet and romantic. It resonated everything that's needed to make a great "our song." Naturally, it morphed into being the perfect ballad for our first dance as a married couple.

I'm going to guess that you haven't actually accidentally heard this song in the past decade and a half. At this point, you'd have to own the CD or find it on YouTube to hear it again. Is there a Babyface Pandora station? Now I'm wondering. Some couples' songs are still everywhere. Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, all those country singers who seem to write lyrics just so they'll become wedding songs. Those guys are still relevant. Babyface...not so much. Where did he go? Why didn't his song...our song, become an iconic love song that is played for decades?

I'm sad to say it's because it's a little dated. Okay, a lot dated. The lyrics are still fantastic, but the music itself hasn't managed to stand the test of time.

Just a few weeks ago, Marshall and I were waiting at a booth for my friend to meet us for a coffee date. Obviously, the adults were going to be having coffee. Five-year-old Marshall was having white milk and cinnamon rolls...his favorite out-to-breakfast treat. As we were sitting in the quiet room with sun shining in, those familiar keys rang through my ears.

It was shocking, as I haven't heard it on the radio (or even through Muzak) since any of my kids were born.

Instantly, with that first note, I was transported back in time to all of the trips Mark and I took in his powder blue '84 Cutlass. Fresh in my mind again were the days of  having to wait weeks at a time to see each other, changing my hair color every six months, and seeing Titanic in the theater so many times I lost count. Then the memories of our wedding dance came flooding through me. Dancing as though there weren't six hundred eyes focused directly and solely on us. Slowly gliding through the center of the room, knowing that the day had finally arrived when we could be together, forever.

I listened intently to the music that morning. I explained to Marhsall how special the song that he was hearing was to his dad and me. He's five. He didn't really get it, but I told him anyway. I told him about our wedding dance. I wanted someone to share in the memories with me, because it was such an important piece of music for our early lives together. Then, I did the very 2014 thing of texting my husband to let him know I was thinking of him.

Our song was on the radio! 17 years later, it was coming through speakers in a public place again. I didn't care that it was soooo 90's. It was so "us."

Take a look at the totally cool video for our song. Does it seem dated to you?

 

What's your song? When you listen to it now, how does it make you feel?


I'd love for you to find me on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/mamalovesyouandchocolatetoo

No comments:

Post a Comment