Thursday, May 7, 2015

Showing That Old Swing Set Some Love

The first swing set that sat in my childhood backyard was bought secondhand, from a yard sale. Someone was selling it a few blocks away, and when my parents decided to buy it for us, the previous owner, my dad, and a few other guys simply picked it up and carried it to our house. Fully assembled. No tools. No trucks. They just walked it through the neighborhood. I can still remember my giddy excitement in seeing that group of dads turn the corner toward my house, with my new swing set hiked high above their shoulders.


It was nothing like the heavy duty play sets kids have today. Nothing like the one Mark assembled in our backyard, which might need a crane when it's time to move. It was composed of plastic and metal, in shades of brown, yellow and white. That swing set had been the source of entertainment for some neighbor kids who outgrew it, and instead of going into the landfill, it was being brought back to life in our yard. For our excitement and that of all of our cousins and friends! That first swing set, a hand-me-down, provided several more years of memories for my brother and me.


Although my parents have never moved from my childhood home, our trusty yellow swing set eventually rusted and cracked. When it was time, my younger brother was given a cooler, newer set for his generation to enjoy...one that my dad bought from the store and assembled with tools.


Over the past sixteen years, my dad has become Grandpa to nine children. A few years ago, rust and cracks on the old set meant it was time, once again, to buy a new one. My husband and older brother, the dads of all of those kids, were tasked with assembling it.


The first place that our kids run to when they head out to Grandma and Grandpa's backyard is the swing set. It's a staple. A given. A monument for the fun they have there year after year. From the times when we only had a few little kids, to now when we have teenagers and preschoolers, it has served a strong purpose.


Easter eggs hide under the slide.


Moms feverishly snap photos, as all 9 kids drape over it.


Grandpa gets bonked in the head by a flying swing.


Cousins create obstacle courses...and memories.


Grandmas lovingly watch from the window, as the circle of life continues.


Swing sets may seem like such trivial pieces of play equipment. Sometimes they may even
be an eyesore. Yet, they are important. Significant. A key facet of a child's growing years.




The set that we have in our own yard features bright yellow and green plastic pieces. It's certainly not aesthetically pleasing in our tranquilly wooded backyard. We were beginning to question why our kids don't play on it as often as they once did. My friend, Becky, even suggested I tackle the feelings moms have when swing sets are shown less love, and then something crazy happened.


Our oldest son invited a friend over, another twelve-year-old-boy. After being inside for about an ninety minutes, they ventured outside to play. The Very First Stop his friend made was at our swing set. He climbed up the rock wall, which is actually shorter than he is tall, but somehow, he still found it thrilling. He slid down the slide. He crossed the monkey bars and pumped his legs on the swings, just as enthusiastically as any six-year-old I've seen.


I called Mark over to see what was happening. Together, we watched from our kitchen window, as two video-game-loving boys showed our old swing set some love. It was a handsome sight for sure!


Do you feel attached to your swing set? Will you pass yours on for another family to enjoy when it's time?






   

No comments:

Post a Comment